Friday, April 27, 2012

3 weeks now


Its time for an update:

This is my third week in India.
And in these three weeks I have, which is the main reason of my infatuation with this place, lived with and like locals.
I have, what you all may know by now, gone to a cricket game, I have gone to a funeral, I have gone out when it first rains, I have gone dancing, I have eaten home cooked Indian food, I have had several morning conversations with my housekeeper when neither I nor she understand each other’s language, I have designed a logo with new cultural symbols, I have gotten lost, I have ridden on a bike, even bumped into cement structures on a late night ride back home, I have gone grocery shopping, I have eaten Chinese, I have attended birthdays, I have gone to meetings, I have been listening to Indian music all day and every day at work and I’ve been loving it, I have been walking the dog everyday, I have met Mama Meena, Hitashi’s lovely mother, I have met beautiful people, I have also, hopefully, successfully managed my days without Hitashi (although I did miss her).
She's back by the way!

I’ve been here like I’m here to stay, even more like I’ve been here before.

It’s not just that it is new because everywhere you go, you find the new and the different.
I have come to notice that my fascination with this place is a realization.
When I am sometimes just sitting in an auto going to work, or going out, I look and maybe just see a sweet baby girl with the most breathtaking eyes, barefoot, wearing a colorful sari, running around her mother who happens to be sitting with some friends on the floor in the shade; or when I am behind my friend on the bike and we are roaming the streets, lost, at 3 am, looking for my place, or when I wake up with Paper (the dog) sleeping next to me, or when I drink chai, or when I shake my head when I am in a conversation with someone because I usually pick up that which I see in front of me, or when the people who I just met and barely know are sweet and protective, or when I am sitting with Hitashi just her and I and Paper and we are talking and laughing, or when we cut a cake at work for someone’s birthday and the boys look at me and smile because that’s the only thing we will both understand, I close my eyes and I feel the rush of this place.


The world is drawn to that which is abundantly beautiful and that which is immensely broken and imperfect. And the thing about this place is that it will hit you hard with its harshest, it will hurt, but that will splash, instantaneously as it touches you, like a balloon filled with colored paint. And at once, you are in between both and you are hooked.

So when people tell you about a spiritual uplift they found in India, then it might very much be true.
























No comments:

Post a Comment